Baseball

Syracuse Chiefs season in full swing

With the Major League Baseball season in full swing, Syracuse’s own minor league team is starting up as well. The Syracuse Chiefs, better known as the Chiefs, are Syracuse’s Triple-A baseball team.

The Chiefs are the Washington Nationals affiliate, and have produced stars such as Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Roy Halladay and Vernon Wells. The team has also churned out past studs like Carlos Delgado and even two-sport NFL Hall of Fame defensive back Deion Sanders, who had a short stint with the team at the tail end of his career in 2001.

During commencement weekend, the Chiefs have a four-game home stand with the Norfolk Tides, the Baltimore Orioles affiliate.

The games will be played:

Friday, 7 p.m.
Promotions: Pregame autograph signing session, Parker Bradway concert
The Nashville, Tenn. recording artist will play in the Hank Sauer Room from 6-7:30 p.m. The concert, sponsored by B104.7, will benefit the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team. Tickets for the game and concert can be purchased for $20 each or $15 for those who already have tickets to the game.

Saturday, 2 p.m.
Promotions: Pregame autograph signing session, Armed Forces Celebration
At noon, military vehicles and equipment—including the M9 Reaper, a World War II Hummer, the Air Force rock climbing wall and a video gaming vehicle—will be on display in the stadium parking lot.

Sunday, 2 p.m.
Promotions: Pregame autograph signing session, Mother’s Day
Free admission to all moms attending the game with family. The first 250 mothers will receive a Chiefs hat and flower and the mothers of the families that post the “most spirited Chiefs family” picture on Twitter and Instagram will be selected to throw out the first pitch. Use #chiefsmom when posting.

Monday, noon
Promotions: Pregame autograph signing session, the promotion formerly known as Church Bulletin Night
Present a program from your place of worship or a civic organization at the Chiefs ticket office and receive one complimentary general admission ticket.
Individual tickets range from $8 to $20 with discounted admission available for youths, seniors and groups of 25-plus people. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 315-474-7833, email at tickets@syracusechiefs.com or at the Chiefs ticket office at Alliance Bank Stadium any time Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Syracuse has struggled thus far into the season. The Chiefs are last in their division with the majority of their struggles coming at home, where they are just 3-12. Twenty-four year-old prospect Jeff Kobernus is providing a solid bat, hitting more than .370 while stealing 13 bases.

—compiled by contributing writer Eric Riter, esriter@syr.edu